|France - SE Bretagne & Vendée 29 April - 7 May 2007|
|Birding trip report John van der Woude - http://johnbirding.wolweb.nl|
|From a cottage along the river Villaine we visited several birding areas mentioned in the new Where to watch birds in France (Dubois 2006). We got a nice array of bird species, both coastal and inland species. We had hoped to see lots of migrating waders in the estuaries etc. but in general this is not comparable to Holland where the numbers are far higher. The weather was generally good, the sunny climate of SW France starts about here.|
Map of the northern part of the area, from Google Maps. Numbers refer to the sites of the photos below.
Same for southern part of the area. Same scale.
(1 on map above) A first glance at the Golfe de Morbihan, N of Sarzeau.
(2) Marsh reserve at the Chateau de Suscinio, S of Sarzeau. Bluethroat, Cetti's Warbler.
(3) View from Sissable in the Guérande salt marsh area.
(4) View at the Atlantic ocean from the Pointe de Croisic. Many Wheatear having a stopover.
(5) The Grande Brière inland marsh area. Whiskered Tern.
(5) Grande Brière just before a thunderstorm.
(6) Tidal mudflats along the old causeway to the Noirmoutier island. Mostly Dunlin.
(7) Gull colony in the Sébastopol polder reserve on the Noirmoutier island. Here, a Slender-billed Gull was paired to a Mediterranean Gull. Many Med Gulls.
(8) At the Pointe de l'Herbaudière in the NW corner of the Noirmoutier island. Turnstones.
(9) Good polder area E of Noirmoutier island although June is a bit late for this habitat.
(10) Back in the Golfe de Morbihan, at the Séné marsh reserve.
(11) Wet meadow along the Vilaine, near our village Béganne. Fan-tailed Warbler.
On the way back home, a short visit to the seabird colony of Cap Fréhel along the North coast of Bretagne. We also had our only Dartford Warbler here.
Further North, a view of the scenery of inland Normandy, near Pont-d'Ouilly.
Great Crested Grebe
Little Ringed Plover
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Great Spotted Woodpecker